Lt. Governor Husted provided the following information for determining if business is considered essential during this week’s Coronavirus press conferences:
- Read the order and use your own good judgement based on the plain reading of the order
- Companies do not need any state certification nor official clearance of any kind
- Companies are recommended to create a document with their rationale justifying their continued operations based on the order
- Follow the safe workplace guidelines in the order (item #18); companies that do not follow it could be subject to closure if they do not follow them even if it is considered essential
- Local police and health departments enforce the order; violations constitute a 2nd degree misdemeanor
- Do not call your local health departments, police departments nor Ohio Department of Health’s Coronavirus phone number/hotline to have them interpret the document for you; local health departments and police departments are not responsible for interpreting the document, but are responsible for enforcing it
View Ohio’s Guidelines for Essential Businesses and Operations Employers. Find other business resources at https://Coronavirus.ohio.gov/businesshelp.