AGC of Ohio shares economic news and works with other public and private owners and associations to encourage construction. AGC advocates in support of issues that promote development and growth, and against those that would inhibit construction activity. AGC of America has a Chief Economist that compiles a wide variety of construction data related to construction spending, employment, materials costs, and market activity. This information is disseminated at both the national and state level.
Construction Economic Facts: Construction is a major contributor to the U.S. economy. Nationally, the industry has more than 650,000 employers with over 6 million employees and creates nearly $1 trillion worth of structures each year. Construction is one of the largest customers for manufacturing, mining and a variety of services. In Ohio, employment numbers show the industry is one of the top 10 private industries in terms of employing workers. A study performed for AGC by Professor Stephen Fuller of George Mason University found that $1 billion in nonresidential construction spending adds about $3.4 billion to Gross Domestic Product (GDP), about $1.1 billion to personal earnings, and creates or sustains 28,500 jobs.
Staying on top of environmental and green issues is important for contractors. AGC provides resources on environmental compliance and green construction initiatives and advocates on related regulatory and legislative matters.
- Ohio EPA
- Ohio Dept of Health - Lead FAQs (includes RRP certification and training info)
- Ohio Facilities Construction Commission Energy Services – Green Schools, Conservation Capital Projects, Energy Performance Contracting
- AGC of America sponsors and contributes to the Construction Industry Compliance Assistance (CICA) Center at www.cicacenter.org. The CICA Center provides “plain English” resources on federal and state environmental requirements pertaining to construction activities.
- U.S. EPA - Common environmental acronyms
- U.S. Green Building Council – LEED
- Green Building Alliance – Green Building Certifications, Rating Systems, and Labels